“I really regret eating healthy today- said no one ever!”
Are you guilty week after week of not having your evening meals planned and therefore resorting to the drive-thru for fast food or take out pizza again? How about your daily lunches at work? Are you fueling your body with healthy foods that will provide you with energy? Or do you end up skipping lunch, leaving you famished and resulting in binging and overeating later in the day?
It’s important to make meal prep and planning a priority. In order to make good food choices for you and your family, you need to have healthy food choices on hand. It’s easy to fall into the trap of convenience and fast food when you are short on time or didn’t make it to the grocery store.
Your food choices are truly the key to good health. Try these tips for making better food selections throughout your week.
- Take time on the weekend to plan your meals. Try to research new recipes for ideas. You might be surprised how much you enjoy trying new dishes that may become regular staples in your weekly meal planning.
- Make a grocery list– make sure you note ingredients of any new recipes so you’ll have everything on hand.
- Meal prep- Try to prewash and cut veggies and fruits for meals during the week. Make a point of cooking or preparing casseroles or soups ahead of time. You’ll be so glad you did on those late days when your tired and don’t want to think about meals.
- Try to make ahead snacks or salads for healthy lunches for you and your family. Consider fruit slices, nuts, and yogurt for healthy sides.
- If you have to resort to fast food- consider making the best possible choices by choosing lean protein, grilled chicken, baked potato, or side salad if possible.
Check out these great ideas in this Meal Prep Guide